jueves, 15 de octubre de 2009

TIPS FOR A GOOD WRITING ESSAY

http://www.goodluckielts.com/ielts-writing-keywords.html
By learning to use common phrases and set expressions, you can add variety and interest to your writing. You will also be able to write more quickly and effectively during exams, when time is limited.Of course, you won't need to use all of the expressions on the IELTS. Ideally, you should be comfortable using at least three or four expressions from each group below, so they come to mind easily during the IELTS.
It is also helpful to have someone call them out so you can test your spelling. Unfortunately, students sometimes make spelling errors even in these commonly occurring expressions. Practice sufficiently so you don't lose points unnecessarily on something that's within your control.
KEY WORDS for IELTS WRITING

Stating Your Opinion

In my opinion,According to me,
In my view, To me,
From my point of view,
I thinkIt seems to me that
I believe
From my perspective
To my way of thinking
It appears that
I suppose
I realize
I understand
I imagine
I feel

Giving Examples

For example,
For instance,
such as
In other words,
as
like
that isnamely
To illustrate
To paraphrase
Comparing
Similar to
As...asi
In common
also
Either...or
In the same way,
Neither...nor
At the same time
Just asresemble
Contrasting
However,
But
On the contrary,
On the other hand,
Differ from
Nevertheless
Although
Though
Otherwise
Instead
Alternatively,
Even though
Generalizing
Generally, Generally speaking,
Overall,
On the whole,
In general,
By and large,
It seems to me that
I believe All in all,
Basically,
Essentially,
As a rule,
All things considered
For the most part

Expressing Certainty

Certainly,
Undoubtedly,
Doubtless,
No doubt,
Definitely,
Of course,

Expressing Partial Agreement
More or less,
To some extent,
Up to a point,
Almost,
In a way,
So to speak,

The "in my point of view" sounds rather Spanglish. It should be "from my point of view". We normally drop the "point of" and say just "in my view".
Other, less formal possibilities could be:to my mind: to emphasise that this is your opinionI reckon:
usually to express an opinion about what is likely to happenI feel: to express a strong personal opinionif you ask me: to express an opinion that may be criticalto be honest (with you):

to express a critical opinion without seeming rudeas far as I'm concerned: to express an opinion that may be different from othersFormal examples, for academic essays etc.:I think that…It seems to me that…I would argue that…I do not believe that…I am unconvinced that…I do not agree that…

http://www.uottawa.ca/academic/arts/writcent/hypergrammar/parout.html#outline

WRITING PARAGRAPHS A thesis is a single, focused argument, and most paragraphs prove or demonstrate a thesis through explanations, examples and concrete details. This chapter will help you learn to write and analyse the types of paragraphs common in academic essays.Start with an Outline:
Start with an Outline
A brief outline will make it easier to develop topic sentences and to arrange your paragraphs in the most effective order.You should begin your outline by stating the thesis of your paper:

The English Civil War was caused by a combination of factors, including the empowerment and organization of Puritan forces, the absolutist tendencies of James I and the personal ineptitude of his son Charles I.


Next, list the topic sentences for each of the paragraphs (or sections) of the paper.Writing Topic Sentence:
I
Review: Topic Sentences:Choose the best among the several topic sentences.

Dividing your ArgumentStarting a new paragraph is a signal to your reader that you are beginning a new thought or taking up a new point. Since your outline will help you divide the essay into sections, the resulting paragraphs must correspond to the logical divisions in the essay. If your paragraphs are too long, divide your material into smaller, more manageable units; if they're too short, find broader topic sentences that will allow you to combine some of your ideas.Review:

Developing Unified and Coherent ParagraphsA paragraph is unified when every sentence develops the point made in the topic sentence. It must have a single focus and it must contain no irrelevant facts. Every sentence must contribute to the paragraph by explaining, exemplifying, or expanding the topic sentence. In order to determine whether a paragraph is well developed or not, ask yourself:
"What main point am I trying to convey here?" (topic sentence) and then "Does every sentence clearly relate to this idea?"There are several ways in which you can build good, clear paragraphs.
This section will discuss three of the most common types of paragraph structure:

development by detail, comparison and contrast, and process.

Finally, it will suggest that most paragraphs are built of a combination of development strategies.
Paragraph Development by DetailThis is the most common and easiest form of paragraph development: you simply expand on a general topic sentence using specific examples or illustrations.
Paragraph Development by Comparison and ContrastYou should consider developing your paragraph by comparison and contrast when you are describing two or more things which have something, but not everything, in common.

Paragraph Development by ProcessParagraph development by process involves a straightforward step-by-step description. Those of you in the sciences will recognise it as the formula followed in the "method" section of a lab experiment. Process description often follows a chronological sequence.

Paragraph Development by CombinationVery often, a single paragraph will contain development by a combination of methods. It may begin with a brief comparison, for example, and move on to provide detailed descriptions of the subjects being compared. A process analysis might include a brief history of the process in question.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario